Another Round

Bea Bea's udder didn't look near big enough last week to indicate she was close to kidding. But she must have been inspired by Flora because she had three kids today. Two boys and a girl!!! Finally a girl. We are happy and it was an interesting birth. I was there again! I know, I am just lucky with birthing animals. She had two in pretty quick succession but then she got up and walked around a little with the tiny hoof of the third sticking out of her. I just knew that was my doe in there!! I was worried but realized maybe Bea Bea just needed to wait for the next round of contractions. Finally, they came and I helped the big girl be born. They all look like the light colored one from Flora. I think it's a beautiful buckskin color with darker pigmentation underneath.

Here are some photos. We have already named the doeling, Lula. Next week or the following we will take them to be disbudded and the boys castrated. Sad but must be done. Bea Bea has proven a good mother with plenty of milk and I made sure all the kids got colostrum soon after birth. I am relieved the birthing is done for the season. With so many boys and only one girl it's easy to choose which to keep! ;)

This is a shot of all three siblings huddled together:


This is the first born buck who is big. I like his coloring.


This is the tiny second born buck.


And this kid on the right is our new doeling Lula! Isn't she grand?


The two born last week are already playing and climbing and jumping and hopping. They really are some of the cutest baby animals. I play with them everyday to make sure they are people friendly because we hope to sell them.

Comments

Popular Posts