Connection



Remember that post I did awhile ago about people and their dis/ connection to animals? Well now that we have more animals I must say it is even more true in real life than I imagined. Our two goats really are very interested in people. They always come to the gate and say hello. Of course they are hoping for a treat of some sort. They are very... greedy is too anthropomorphic, concerned with food is more apt. But even so, they will stop eating and come over and stand next to me for a pat. Sitting with them I have the feeling that they really want me there. And don't want me to go, ever. Their herd instinct is strong so when we leave their area they want to come with us. Safety in numbers you know. I was not expecting this kind of connection so soon. I figured it would take a long time. And now when I think of the farm without them, or the chickens or the cats even, it feels lonely somehow.

Connections in permaculture dwell a lot on how the house and gardens, flow with the orchard, with the timber lands and on out. But the relationships that develop on a farm are also of a more spiritual nature. And by this I mean what we as people give to the animals and plants and what they in turn give to us. Their contributions to the farm move beyond simply their milk, meat, manure and digestion. They bring themselves to the evolving fabric of our farm. And sitting quietly with animals is as different from sitting at a computer and surfing the web as you can get I think. It's quite like meditation really. Not in some esoteric way but simply being.

Animals are very grounding. When I sit in their shed with them and listen to their breathing and hear the rain falling on the metal roof everything feels .... suspended. The rush of modern life momentarily falls away. And it is such a relief. You really can't understand the feeling until you experience it yourself. It is like a weight is lifted that you really didn't even know was there. Oh sure, it settles back once I return to the house but I remember it.

I really like our new goats. And the kids and Stephen do as well. And just a note to our friends and family: no one will be asked to milk or care for our goats if they don't want to. So don't get panicky that if you come to visit you will be put to work or have to touch something you find icky. For various reasons some people just don't resonate with animals. That is perfectly ok with us. We will still like you even if you don't like our goats. ;)

Comments

  1. It's amazing. I was thinking the same thing. I think about that a lot, actually. Recently, though, I've experienced the Zen feeling of hanging with animals. Whether it was walking with cattle or watching and listening to the pigs eat, I find it easy to "zone out." It amazes me how much I am in thought about so many things out there. I see all these little societies and social orders. I see the relationships and comparisons between these animals and the human animal. I love my job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts