Planting in the Sun

What happened to welcoming the colder says? Although it is quite beautiful outside, it's kinda hot for planting the swale. But we divided the south swale into three sections and planted the first section this morning. Harder to determine how much seed to go on an area than I thought. Especially when the seeds are so small like the mini-clover mix seeds are. But we muddled through. Stephen and the kids divided the seed mixtures up while I watered the marked off swale section. Once the clay got wet it stuck to my shoes so it looked like I was wearing giant shoes of clay. I quickly figured out to water away from myself and walk backwards so I wasn't walking on wet soil. But we couldn't avoid the soil when we were seeding the top. Here is what the swale looks like with some rice straw mulch on it after seeding:







Here are the seeds we used. Soil builder, mini-clover, and Good Bug Blend:


This batch needed innoculant.


I am taking a break as I write this. Takes a lot longer to cover with mulch than I had anticipated. I still need to try and contact a tree trimming company to see if we can get their shredded mulch for the bottom of the swale. As of now no luck on that front. The nursery contacted me and said our 129 shrubs are waiting for us to pick up! All we need to finish is the swale mulching, cover it with the jute netting pictured below, stake said netting and put the irrigation in! That is all!


Stephen drove to Woodland yesterday to pick up eight rolls of this stuff. Worth the trip as it saved us several hundred dollars. While we were mulching the swale the kids decided to build a "house." From these pictures it looks like they have been buried under a pile of wood but actually this is their little lean too hovel. They spent over an hour on it. Moved all the wood there themselves and built it. Amazing what children will do if it's all their idea.



And although it looks like he is asking for help, he actually wanted me to take a picture of his new Kleen Kanteen sippy canteen. We need to carve the pumpkins and I need to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. Hmmm, mulching that swale is sounding better and better.

Comments

Popular Posts