Mystery of Observation

(Note: I have finally identified this plant as heliotropium europaeum, or common heliotrope. There is scant information on its medicinal uses but most consider it toxic It is from the Mediterranean.)
There is a magical plant on our property. I didn't notice it until about a year ago. Unlike many of the plants on our land, it doesn't have spikes or thorns, burrs or prickles. It's flowers are very tiny, white, in a whorl that curls. The plant is bluish green when it first sprouts. I have looked in all my books. I can't seem to id it. I thought for certain it would be listed in Weeds of the West. It acts a lot like a "weed." It's extremely tough. It can grow in our cold frame which is an oven in the summer and reaches temps of 125-130F. It grows with no water or help from us. The grasshoppers didn't like it and they didn't damage it even with their plague numbers. The deer don't eat it, nor do the rabbits or mice. It was the only green thing this summer. So I let it go.

In Sept and Oct. there are not a lot of things flowering. Our Jerusalem Artichokes are flowering right now. I don't know if that is because they kept getting set back by the grasshoppers or if they just flower in the Fall. So I let the magical plant go even though it had started to look ragged. And now its covered in bees of all kinds and butterflies. It is an incredible insectary plant. So much activity around it. I am so glad I left it. It is not the best looking plant. You can see in the pictures that it wouldn't win any beauty contests but boy do the bugs love it. I especially noticed many honey bees all over it. So this post is really about observation. If I hadn't waited, if I had just ripped the plant out when it started to look bad I would have missed its crucial role for so many insects. Now I know that where ever this plant grows, I should let it go. In the future I may learn more about it. Like its name! But for now it's on the good list. And I think the fairies like it for sure.


Comments
Post a Comment