Summer Tidings
As August comes to a close things on the farm are still pretty slow given the heat. But I did release the younger hens into the larger flock of four remaining hens. There was some aggression as is to be expected. I am wondering what will happen once night falls and the young hens see the older ones climb the ladder into the chicken coop. They were getting so big I just felt bad keeping them in their small temporary coop any longer even if it was to protect them. So we will see. A few years back we had a new hen get caught in the electric fence at night and die. I hope that doesn't happen. :/
It appears from my garden's performance this year that if I don't get my cucumbers and tomatoes started early enough the heat stunts them. And many of the mammoth sunflowers that grew 7 feet tall did not develop seeds inside their shells. This was disappointing as I wanted to feed them to the chickens. Goats on the other hand love ALL of the green sunflowers as well as the head, so they got most of them. I need to work out a better deep litter system for the chicken pen. I think this fall I will clean out the goat pen and transfer it to the chicken pen where it falls slowly by gravity to the bottom eastern side. I have big plans for the southeastern section off the garden to plant my avocados, lemons and limes I have been raising in the courtyard. I think I will also grow an orange since the ones on the swale are so stunted from deer eating them. The kids start school next week and they are super excited.
It appears from my garden's performance this year that if I don't get my cucumbers and tomatoes started early enough the heat stunts them. And many of the mammoth sunflowers that grew 7 feet tall did not develop seeds inside their shells. This was disappointing as I wanted to feed them to the chickens. Goats on the other hand love ALL of the green sunflowers as well as the head, so they got most of them. I need to work out a better deep litter system for the chicken pen. I think this fall I will clean out the goat pen and transfer it to the chicken pen where it falls slowly by gravity to the bottom eastern side. I have big plans for the southeastern section off the garden to plant my avocados, lemons and limes I have been raising in the courtyard. I think I will also grow an orange since the ones on the swale are so stunted from deer eating them. The kids start school next week and they are super excited.





Comments
Post a Comment