When the Others Won't do the Work

So in keeping with their stubborn and browser nature the goats are not keeping the pasture/fire break down as I had hoped.  They are working on it but just not with the laser like intensity of either sheep or alpacas.  On top of this I think the girls are scared.  They don't seem brave enough to venture out into the high grass when it comes over their heads in some places especially when their heads are down and they are eating.  They look around a lot and seem paranoid.  They are happy to go out there when I am with them.   I surmise this is due to encounters with snakes, deer and maybe even coyotes at night.  I don't blame them but I wish they would show a little more daring.  These are the goats that surfed my e-crete tower before it came crashing down. 

I am looking into getting self-shedding sheep.  It might be tricky having goats and sheep since they have conflicting mineral requirements.  But we need this fire break.  And if the goat team can't do it then we may have to enlist another ally.  Just keeping the information on the site updated as much as I can.  We also need to redo some of the corners of the electric fence.  Live and learn.  :)  And never surrender!!!!
For the first time the pineapple guava has flowered.  I don't know if this means fruit but they have beautiful tropical looking flowers.  These were the sole survivors from the original wind break guild and so hold a special place in my heart. 

Oh! and another discovery.  I scraped my knuckles while trying to pull a star thistle out off the road.  It was bleeding but I was down by the dry creek.  I took some Blue Oak leaves, chewed them up and put them on my little wound.  Amazing! Blue Oak leaves are mucilagenous!  They are soothing.  They are also slightly astringent but nothing like you would expect from an oak.  The wound stopped bleeding and hurting and healed real quick.  I was amazed.  I love plants.  Can you tell?

Comments

Popular Posts