Everything I learned about cruelty I learned from chickens
So today sometime in the 100F heat one of the chicks got her head stuck between two sides of her enclosed area. And instead of pulling her head down and out she tried to pull it up and got it further jammed. Trapped with her head exposed and no way to move it, she was mercilessly pecked by the other older chickens. I don't know which did most of the pecking. All I know is I came out at 3 pm and there she was with her mangled bloodied head sticking out. I thought for sure she was dead. But when I finally got to her she was still alive. From the bottom of her neck to the top of her head the skin was flayed out open revealing muscles and bone. Her right eye was shut and severely damaged. She limped like her foot was hurt and her wing seemed broken. I brought her inside the cat carried inside the courtyard. I took her out and put comfrey poultice on her wound. But I soon realized it needed to be closed. I got my needle and thread and crudely sewed the gaping wound shut. She let me do all this without complaint. I put comfrey over her wounded eye. She laid in the carrier and looked like she would die. But I got her to drink a little. She had mud and dirt all stuck in her beak from trying to get out. She is standing now. Chickens only sit down when they are really sick or dying I think. So that is a good sign, but with the severity of her wounds I don't hold out much hope. She is Priscilla the silver laced Wyandotte.


Comments
Post a Comment