Shelter

Being on such an exposed site has lots of challenges. Sure I was happy we didn't have to cut down any trees from the site to build our house. However if I could have harvested surplus trees to use for lumber for the house that would have been a different thing. I didn't want to cut down any trees because there are so few out here to begin with. But without trees or shrubs or anything vertical there is precious little shade. That is another reason why we like to plant in groups. For shade and wind resistance.
I allow or even encourage some plants that others find rough or unrefined. For example white horehound is disdained by most ranchers and gardeners out here. True it can run rampant, its burs get stuck in your hair and socks and it may make milk taste bitter. BUT, its really tough. The bees truly adore it's white flowers and in my herb garden which faces southwest, it shades some of my more tender herbs. In the shadow of white horehound I have catnip, plantain, echinacea and chives. None of these are really delicate but they do like some dappled shade or at least a little rest from the mega solar radiation we get here at the day's end.
I also let mullein tower over the herb beds for the same reasons. It may look somewhat weedy and unkempt by the end of the season but so does everything else!! ha ha ha. Oh and wormwood (artemisia absinthium) also does incredibly well on our farm. But then again most of the artemisias do.
I put up small fences in the herb garden to delineate space but also give some shade. Both these fences are planted with honeysuckle, grape, myrtle and rose. I have a fence facing West to protect the small micro-pond habitat. I plan on building more fences for the purpose of shade and wind protection. We don't want to halt the wind but mimic what trees do which is allow some wind through but at a slowed pace. Tree and shrubs of course are better and these are planted but while we are waiting some fences are a good idea.


Comments
Post a Comment