Comings and Goings on a Farm


I went and got the goat kids disbudded (all) and castrated (4 out of 5) a few days ago. The disbudding was much harder. It lasts longer and feels pretty much like watching torture. I know it's for the best in the long term but boy is it hard to watch those sweet little things have their horn buds burned off. I felt pretty unsteady for a good while after that. This surprised me.

Then yesterday Ned tried a sneak attack from behind while I was filling the water cans. That did it for me. I waited until evening, pulled him out quickly by his feet and killed him with a cleaver some distance from the other chickens. He never made a sound and he was a big, loud sissy usually. Maybe he knew. I'd like to say I did it cleanly and neatly but that would be a lie. That was my intention. But chickens have tougher necks than you might imagine. But he is gone now - food for others. I did not have the energy to set up all the stuff to butcher him so we did not eat Ned. But it was my first rooster kill so I am cutting myself some slack.

The Western Kingbirds have returned. Their aerial aerobatics are always fun. But right now I can hear one male bird "dueling" on our roof with another bird who is actually his own reflection in our shiny stove pipe. He may be the King but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Also I did my first real milking this morning. I separated the kids and moms last night for the first time. The milking was hard and slow; I am still perfecting two-handed. I got only the smallest amount. But those 8 oz. were filtered and cooled. And we all got to try some. Luckily the kids and I all liked it! Hooray!! All this work and effort was not in vain. I must admit I was a little worried about this possibility. Phew.

Comments

Popular Posts