Permaculture books and seeds



I just received The Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow in the mail today. Can't wait. I have just finished rereading The Permaculture Garden by Graham Bell this week. It was really fun and gave me lots of ideas and inspiration. I also received Getting Started in Permaculture by Ross Mars. It has lots of ideas for little projects to do in an afternoon. I have been meaning to get these two books for years now. They were published around 1996, which is over ten years ago. What took me so long? I don't know. They are smallish books and I kept thinking they might be redundant. But now in my age/wisdom (he he) I have decided redundant is good, redundant is great! redundancy makes for resiliency in design and good remembrance in ye old brain.
I ordered most of our seeds from Territorial Seed Company in Oregon. We are not planting cucumbers or zucchinis this year since we like buying them from a farm on the way to town and they take up so much garden space. But we have decided we love kohlrabi and kale. We planted too much chard last year. The sweet pea shoots never were tender. Maybe it got too hot too fast for them. I am planting sugar snap peas soon. I am hopeful that this garden will have a chance to mature to summer abundance. We also got basil, tomato, raab broccoli, baby bok choy, snap peas, lettuce, winter squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, beans, pepper, pumpkins and parsnips. Thought I would give parsnips a try. Good old world root vegetable. Good to know how to grow the sustenance stuff. I forgot last fall I had planted Golden Turnips. Going through the garden yesterday and weeding I noticed the massive roots on what I thought were mustard greens. Turns our they were my turnips. If you peel the skin they are like a cross between a radish and kohlrabi. good.

Comments

Popular Posts