Late Winter/Early Spring Garden

This is the calendula not killed by the low 20sF we had. We have had some days of strong sun and they are racing to flower! I was impressed by their toughness.

Last week I started planting some veggies for the spring garden today. It was a leaf day so we planted:

Pea Shoots
Bok Choy 2
Lettuce
Orach
Early Cabbage
Kale
For the next few days I will be starting more trees and shrubs and herbs where the leaves are the part to use. This will be either sown directly into the soil or in pots.



This week I will be planting the snap peas and starting the tomatoes and peppers inside. Also I will be planting herbs where the flower is important.

This is what I harvested to make room for these new plants. Below is a purple kohlrabi, a purple cabbage, two golden turnips, one small red potato, a tiny carrot and some chard. Some kind of winter vegetable medley tonight for dinner. It is so warm today I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Before we left for New Year I wore the full winter gear to work outside. Crazy El Nino weather patterns. More rain is forecast end of this week which is good. :)

Comments

Popular Posts