Fall Happenings

I love the Fall for many reasons. And among them are the fact that Fall means oranges, persimmons, walnuts and pomegranates. I love all of these fruits:


The blue oaks on our land have started turning orange and yellowish. Not really the brilliant display you will find on the east coast of the US but for us nice anyway. I don't think they turn every year. I don't remember them turning last year. But we have had some cold nights this season. These pictures don't even show how colorful they are now.

The garden is doing well. Lots of greens. I have been using them in many recipes that don't normally call for greens, like macaroni and cheese. The lettuce is coming along nicely and the purple cabbages have taken on monstrous proportions. The grass like things in one bed are the garlic that the kids and Stephen planted. And finally against all odds my calendula did flower. And the bees appreciate it. I don't even know what kinds these are since I kept trying and using different calendula seed. My sister has given me more seeds from her prolific garden.








And my father has supplied the farm with many loads of green stuff. The first pile are leaves and the second is a mulched pine tree. I am using this stuff at the bottom of the swale where the water from the courtyard empties. It settles there and doesn't soak in quickly. I am thinking the pine mulch will act like a sponge and absorb a lot of water before it overflows.




We got the irrigation put in on the south swale but are having some pressure issues. We are going to split the line and see if that helps. Always presented with these puzzles to figure out.

The compost is working even though I never turn it. Lazy person compost.


I put in a new bed on the south west side next to the grape we thought was dead. It survived and someday we hope it will climb an arbor that doesn't exist yet. Also I finally planted my little Vitex tree there. If I can figure out how to protect it from the wind it will be happy here. Speaking of wind. We had several days of instense northern wind. Very cold and dry. Really shriveled the potato plants which take the brunt of the wind in the garden.




I just went to the nursery and got a yard of planting mix. They make it there. I will use it for all the hundreds of seeds I need to germinate. I need a greenhouse. Hmmmm. The north swale still needs to be planted. Thanksgiving was good. Got to see my grandmother whom I hadn't seen in eight years. My 13th wedding anniversary is coming up. 13 is the lucky one right? We are going to San Fransicso this weekend to celebrate. All told things are really good.

Comments

Popular Posts