Stirring Jan. 2015

I think its still winter although for us in the valley winter and spring get rather muddled.  With the first rains in October we start to see new green life.  And with the rains come the cooler temperatures that we dream about in summer days.  So winter can be like spring with the desire to get out and do work in the garden, clean up beds and start new projects.  

Today I did lots of fruit tree pruning.  Tomorrow I will try and spray with the copper sulphate for fungus. These are the only two things I do for our trees.  Their water is automatic.  Oh sometimes when I have the mind, I put goat manure around the base.  I will need a ladder to trim the cherry trees which got away from me.  And two silk mimosas will need a ladder to be trimmed.  Last year I let the two peach trees get too big and some branches full of fruit broke.  I trimmed them back pretty hard in the summer so they will have less fruit this year.  

All the acacias are blooming and so are some of the african sumacs.  Our place is absolutely buzzing with honey bees.  More than ever.  I wish we were getting some of that acacia honey! In the next two weeks the almonds will blossom and then the bees can move to them as well.  The rosemary did not bloom as much and I think I need to prune it back.  Today I also freed the olive trees that were put in cages a few years ago to protect them from deer.  They are big enough now and so I had to cut the chicken wire off of some branches.  The prickly pear cactus I stuck in the ground (literally) at the end of the north swale is huge! It has not fruited but I am looking forward to it.  I think this year I want to plant another apricot and a persimmon Fuyu. 

I am sad when I look out into the garden that has no chickens.  We are going to be traveling in Taiwan for two months this summer, but when we get back I intend on getting more chickens! I miss them for their manure, their company, their eggs and their weed/ kitchen waste eating.

Comments

Popular Posts