Preparing for Summer
This is the first year I would say that we have had harvests from multiple trees. The apricots were really good and although the wind took many down and the birds got tons, I made apricot jam and got to eat a bunch. I will say the Harcot Apricot is better overall for us than the Moorpark. The Moorpark is bred for easy harvest and small tree size. They also ripen later by a week or so. I like the complex taste of the Harcot better, the size and blush as well. Yes, they get bigger than the Moorpark but for our place that is a good thing. We have many plums ripening right now and peaches and apples are coming along though still in the green phase.
Since we moved all my potted plants away from the area which is now the patio I set them along the fence to the garden. I knew I needed to provide some shade but I kept putting it off. Why do I do that? Anyway then a heat wave hit and many were drying out and threatening to die. So Stephen got some old canvas panels that we had made to protect the bales and pounded some T-posts in, set them against the fence and tied them to the posts. I put up some reed fencing although it doesn't help much with shade. I have decided I like the way it looks and I am going to put more up.
Also the trees I planted in the chicken pen all survived thus far. I have had to run the sprinkler many times since they are not connected to the irrigation yet. But they seem to love it and the chickens. The loquats are particularly robust. As you may remember I planted loquats (because I love the fruit) white and black mulberries, causarinas, an edible pine, magnolias, oaks, a cottonwood at the far corner, a maple (i know...) and a mystery tree that just appeared. Also the golden plum next to the chicken coop is huge! We always have to make adjustments during the first heat wave of the season. So now we know what to expect and what to watch for.
Since we moved all my potted plants away from the area which is now the patio I set them along the fence to the garden. I knew I needed to provide some shade but I kept putting it off. Why do I do that? Anyway then a heat wave hit and many were drying out and threatening to die. So Stephen got some old canvas panels that we had made to protect the bales and pounded some T-posts in, set them against the fence and tied them to the posts. I put up some reed fencing although it doesn't help much with shade. I have decided I like the way it looks and I am going to put more up.
Also the trees I planted in the chicken pen all survived thus far. I have had to run the sprinkler many times since they are not connected to the irrigation yet. But they seem to love it and the chickens. The loquats are particularly robust. As you may remember I planted loquats (because I love the fruit) white and black mulberries, causarinas, an edible pine, magnolias, oaks, a cottonwood at the far corner, a maple (i know...) and a mystery tree that just appeared. Also the golden plum next to the chicken coop is huge! We always have to make adjustments during the first heat wave of the season. So now we know what to expect and what to watch for.







Comments
Post a Comment