The Strain of Details

The summer just seems to bring out the depressed in me.  The injured chicken is still in the coutryard after a failed attempt last week at re-integration.  We think she may be a he anyway.  I have had chickens on the mind and feel somehow we have been led astray from our original purpose which was eggs and manure and bug control.  We are getting one egg a day from the lowest chicken on the pecking order who gets harrassed and pecked and little good food.  This has been weighing on my mind for months but is coming into clear focus of late.  She is giving but she is not getting.  The chickens who are getting , Spot and Dot are not giving anything.  I think I will give them away on Craigslist.  But then that leaves Earl with only Henny Penny and Speckle to harass.  I am sick of chickens to tell the truth.  I might just stop having them and buy eggs from Mindy.  Or I could just get a lot more chickens and not care who is getting harassed and what not as long as I am getting enough eggs.  ug.

We are having another heat wave tomorrow and the next few days.  They say it will get to 106F.  This means danger for the chickens again whom I don't want to think about anymore but do anyway.  The kids were supposed to help out with the the animals but this has not happened.  And I just don't want to fight with them about it.  So it's partly my fault for not making them more involved.  I have been stressing about making the mobile coop into a stationary coop which is both better shaded and higher off the ground.  It's just too hot to work and we are so busy doing other things. 

On another note I am trying to teach myself how to sew which is a very daunting task.  I grew up with sewing but no one ever taught me.  I don't know why.  So I know about much of it but it's still perplexing and frustrating.  I feel I should know but I don't.  I have set up the craft room as a sewing room and this has been a good start.  Scheduled dedicated time to it each day is needed.   

Comments

Popular Posts