Grasshoppers, Deer and Heat
Well the grasshoppers have returned this year in large numbers. So that means we got not a seven year break but a two year one. We had a heat wave (106F) the last few days and they love it. The hotter it is, the more they move around and eat. The most intensely infested areas of the farm are between the arbor and the wind guild on the southeast, on the gravel driveway and near the compost in the garden on the northwest. It will be a not so fun summer with so many grasshoppers. On the other hand we have so many more things planted now that the damage they inflict will be spread out over many plants instead of just a hand full. And even if the grasshoppers eat my perennials down to the ground, the plants will come back. That is the beauty of perennials. And as long as they don't ring the trees, they should be fine also.
This year I am using water in two ways. One is to keep the chickens cooled down when the temp goes above 100F. We lost two chickens (Hester and Ester, both all black) when we had an unusually hot spell end of May. I tried to save them but to no avail. So preventative cooling is important. Also the water slows the grasshoppers way down. This allows the chickens a much better shot at catching and eating them once I move the emitter to another area.
I also have been using water to slow the grasshopper's march on the southeastern sector. But ultimately I know there is little I can do to stop them. I have halted my plans for the garden until end of August when they will have slowed their frenzied eating and started to die or breed or do whatever they do after wreaking havoc.
Also we have a deer buck who has been "domesticated" by one of our neighbors. They feed him and put a collar on him. All that would be fine if he stayed over with them. But of course he wanders over to our place and comes up to the window and sits on the porch and eats all my fruit trees. I have sprayed water at him, and thrown things. I have named him Ralph since he has such a big mouth. He is cute I will grant that. But not cute enough to surrender trees I have been nurturing for so long. We don't want to hurt him but we are going to have to do something to demonstrate that our place is not the free buffet he has come to think it is. Sling shot and walnuts might be the answer.
This year I am using water in two ways. One is to keep the chickens cooled down when the temp goes above 100F. We lost two chickens (Hester and Ester, both all black) when we had an unusually hot spell end of May. I tried to save them but to no avail. So preventative cooling is important. Also the water slows the grasshoppers way down. This allows the chickens a much better shot at catching and eating them once I move the emitter to another area.
I also have been using water to slow the grasshopper's march on the southeastern sector. But ultimately I know there is little I can do to stop them. I have halted my plans for the garden until end of August when they will have slowed their frenzied eating and started to die or breed or do whatever they do after wreaking havoc.
Also we have a deer buck who has been "domesticated" by one of our neighbors. They feed him and put a collar on him. All that would be fine if he stayed over with them. But of course he wanders over to our place and comes up to the window and sits on the porch and eats all my fruit trees. I have sprayed water at him, and thrown things. I have named him Ralph since he has such a big mouth. He is cute I will grant that. But not cute enough to surrender trees I have been nurturing for so long. We don't want to hurt him but we are going to have to do something to demonstrate that our place is not the free buffet he has come to think it is. Sling shot and walnuts might be the answer.


Comments
Post a Comment