Maintenance in Spring
Spring is certainly work time around our farm. But unlike Fall when we do lots of planting, Spring is the time for clearing and cleaning up. We are in a constant struggle to stay ahead of the annual grasses. They went to seed extremely early this year. Yet although we got such little rain this winter they still managed to grow waste high in several places. This always surprises me and it shouldn't. And Spring is also the time for the big irrigation system check. Stephen spent an entire Saturday checking all the emitters and lines to make sure they were in working order. I had nicked some, slashed a few and several had just broken off. We definitely lost one apple which I was hoping would bounce back. And many of my Pakistani Mulberries look like they are struggling. Our pear trees finally took a turn for the better after almost two years of really looking sad. We might even have some fruit! The peaches and plums all have fruit on them. I used a copper spray this spring and it seemed to help a great deal with the peach leaf curl, although not entirely. And our ash trees which were planted in the Fall of 09 are really looking like trees now. As a matter of fact we have many trees which when seen from the window of the house look like trees!
For the first time on our farm we have had an explosion of two insects. (I am not counting the grasshopper invasion of 2009 because we had nothing to do with that). This year we have had a HUGE amount of ladybugs. You cannot go outside without seeing hundreds of them. They are mostly spread out and I find them congregating on plants that have lots of aphids like my peppermint and artemisia plants right now.
The other big bug right now are snails. Yes, the dreaded snail has come to our farm. It was only a matter of time unless I quarantined every new plant I bought. But what I find exciting is that previously these insects did not survive much because we did not have enough moisture or plant life to really support them. So their population explosion while annoying in some ways is really a good sign. And I have found that if you crush their shells first the chickens go crazy for them. The snails are particularly fond of the deep shade the privet provides. So I collect them and feed them to the chickens. I would really love to get the chickens on the south swale now that I have scythed most it.
Speaking of my scythe, oh how I love it. I mowed down the side of the driveway today in the cool windy weather and thought to myself how nice it was that I did not have to either stoop with my sickle or use the terrible weed eater. After 45 minutes of using the weed eater my hands shake for several hours and I hate that. Also the noise and the pollution are awful. I have been using my scythe to chop and drop on the south swale which is almost done. And then onto the north. I learned how to sharpen it from a you tube video. Anyone out there who is thinking of getting a scythe, if you have the need, you will not regret the purchase.
I am also happy to report that we have several volunteers around the farm which is exciting. When plants do the planting for you its wonderful. The clary sage has traveled to another bed, and no surprise the plantain has wandered, the goldenrod, and chicory. Big deal you may be thinking these are considered weeds by most people. Well, for me they are healing herbs and every time they plant themselves they occupy a niche and show me where they will do well.


This last photo is of some kind of aster. It came in a pot with another plant and even though it looks mild mannered it took over and smothered the other plant, although it has not killed it. The underside of the white petals are pink. I don't know why it is doing so well. It is not on an emitter but does get watered and it's in harsh sun and really terrible clay soil. Plants never cease to surprise me!
Note: a reader emailed me and commented that this looks to her like English Daisy. I had no idea they could be so tough. Yay! It tastes spicy.


Comments
Post a Comment