Plantings Winter/Spring 2011
Went to Goodins and bought the first part of our bare root order a few weeks ago. It was cold and damp. I actually missed the sun. Here is a list of what we got:
Craig's Crimson Cherry
Panache Tiger Fig
Chandler Walnut
Santa Rosa Plum
Elephant Heart Plum
Astringent Persimmon
Red Ruby Grape
Kathy told me for our area with some of the heavy soil we have it's best to mix sand with the soil for the hole of Persimmon trees. Otherwise they are very hardy and tough. I think of persimmons as the mangoes of the temperate world. I know I am alone in this thinking but there it is.
Secretly, I also bought another Camphor because the one I got before died. And a tree sized Privet. And three African Sumacs and a Casuarina. I have been wanting one of these Australian trees for so long. And there it was just shyly sitting behind a pyracantha. They are high in silica. Hee hee! Kathy also casually mentioned that she had jujubes. Wow. You really never know what you will find at her place. I went with a list and only got three things that were not on it. I really had to keep myself on track. It was very hard. I hadn't been to Goodins in 9 months.

The gardens are coming along with the peas and fava beans and various winter greens we planted. They are featured in the picture above. They took a beating during the cold but now they are flowering and have been visited by many bees so germination looks good. We finished putting chicken fencing up all around the veggie garden so we are able to have the chickens closer and keep the cats out. We may also be keeping the rabbits out. :)
Update: So I have been to Goodins again for more trees. We got several more Fuji apples, and four Ca. Sycamores and African Sumacs. The Sycamores were planted below the south swale to the west and the African sumacs were planted on the ridge of the north swale (I know gutsy huh?) We wish them all well and hope to see them on the other side of summer. No pecans for us this year and we are waiting to see if Kathy gets any BR Silk Mimosas. We went ahead and bought the one Fruiting Mulberry that she had in a pot since we couldn't find them BR anywhere close by. I have been praying for rain but nothing yet. If you have rain in your area and don't need or want it, please send it over my way. Renee HC, Corning CA 96021 just west of I-5 care of the wind. Thanks.
Craig's Crimson Cherry
Panache Tiger Fig
Chandler Walnut
Santa Rosa Plum
Elephant Heart Plum
Astringent Persimmon
Red Ruby Grape
Kathy told me for our area with some of the heavy soil we have it's best to mix sand with the soil for the hole of Persimmon trees. Otherwise they are very hardy and tough. I think of persimmons as the mangoes of the temperate world. I know I am alone in this thinking but there it is.
Secretly, I also bought another Camphor because the one I got before died. And a tree sized Privet. And three African Sumacs and a Casuarina. I have been wanting one of these Australian trees for so long. And there it was just shyly sitting behind a pyracantha. They are high in silica. Hee hee! Kathy also casually mentioned that she had jujubes. Wow. You really never know what you will find at her place. I went with a list and only got three things that were not on it. I really had to keep myself on track. It was very hard. I hadn't been to Goodins in 9 months.

The gardens are coming along with the peas and fava beans and various winter greens we planted. They are featured in the picture above. They took a beating during the cold but now they are flowering and have been visited by many bees so germination looks good. We finished putting chicken fencing up all around the veggie garden so we are able to have the chickens closer and keep the cats out. We may also be keeping the rabbits out. :)
Update: So I have been to Goodins again for more trees. We got several more Fuji apples, and four Ca. Sycamores and African Sumacs. The Sycamores were planted below the south swale to the west and the African sumacs were planted on the ridge of the north swale (I know gutsy huh?) We wish them all well and hope to see them on the other side of summer. No pecans for us this year and we are waiting to see if Kathy gets any BR Silk Mimosas. We went ahead and bought the one Fruiting Mulberry that she had in a pot since we couldn't find them BR anywhere close by. I have been praying for rain but nothing yet. If you have rain in your area and don't need or want it, please send it over my way. Renee HC, Corning CA 96021 just west of I-5 care of the wind. Thanks.


Comments
Post a Comment