The Weight of It All

Sometimes when I am out there in the internet wilds I come across some great stuff. I learn about other permaculturists, bioneers, peak oil doomers and various other people trying to make their way in this crazy world. But often I only feel productive and receptive for about 60 minutes for me. And then I start to get a sinking feeling.
All the words, and charts, articles and forecasts, start to make me feel mentally oppressed. I get that many of these people know much more than me. I get that the forecast is very very grim overall. I get that whatever small impact I make will not be enough in the opinion of many very smart people. And soon, I just want to throw my computer across the room in futile frustration.
Ok. Deep breath. Time to shut the computer off and go outside. Time to get lost in the garden or wander around the land aimlessly or decide where to plant the walnut. Time to ground myself. And when I do this, I realize that although the computer is a great resource, it has a severe time limit for me. I can only gain good, solid, positive information from at best one hour of reading and browsing. And then I need to turn it off. Otherwise it all collapses in on itself and me.
I have asked other people if this happens to them and some agree in the abstract. But almost no one actually shuts the computer off unless they are forced to by appointments, work or sleep. Most people just plunge on, feeling harassed and overwhelmed but also entertained and stimulated. Just one more click, just one more game, just one more article and pithy quote. So much time is wasted surfing the web. I mean SO MUCH TIME, that people could be living and planting and changing their small part of the world. So I say, visit your favorite sites, research new ideas and then shut the thing off. Live in the physical, magical world outside your doorstep.


speaking from one who struggles with this on a daily basis i whole heartily agree. remember what it was like to be human? and not an interconnected network of post modern robo product citizens? i am trying to spend more time in the present...and speak/work with what is around me rather than be so caught up in the representation and mediation of life through technology. its funny because in college i spent so much time reading about the future william gibson, neal stephensen etc... envisioned and i thought it was soooo cool and it was an evolutionary leap for us, novelty, the global village, shared experience etc.. etc... but now there is a realization that all of that is enabled by multi-national proto military corporations whose main intent is profit and speed of delivery. it is not to make a better world or to create communinty as the tv ads tell us. its the bottom line and without it there is not technology. What enables the network? the router. who made the router, Cisco. who invented the net? the US military... and so on... who just invested in facebook? goldman sachs...one of the worst financial institutions in our country. ok time to logoff... :)
ReplyDelete