Lag Time, Time of Change

We have been busy on the farm of late due to the first winter rains!! Hooray for rain. The ground got nice and soaked so I have been able to plant many things. Here is a partial list:

California Pepper tree
African Sumac
Cork Oak
Rosa Rugosa (that I started from SEED!!!!!)
Rosa virginiana (also from seed but not so impressive)

In the garden we have started many cool weather crops. Peas, fava beans, lettuce, kohlrabi, baby bok choy, kale, and for the first time parsnip. Stephen, who has turned into an excellent chef of Chinese homecookin' also wants to grow turnips since they are in many Chinese recipes. Who knew? Cooking is a source of enjoyment for Stephen. I feel almost guilty. Almost. :) Mostly I feel satisfied in the knowledge we don't have to travel all the way to the Bay Area for our Asian food fix. Yum. We are thinking of writing a book called Homesteading the Chinese Way: 4, 000 Years of Awesomeness. I think we need a pig though. You can't do the homestead thing without one.

We plan on planting a lot more but many of the new trees will be bare root and we have to wait for them to come into a nursery near us. I have been collecting seeds as well. A big, new, exciting project is in the works for symbiosisfarms. Once we are more sure of the date I will post about it. The kids are super excited and so are the adults. Due to this new venture the blog will be re-purposed to be a more integral part of the farm, not just my ramblings. Also Stephen will be posting as well.

In other news, this Nov. 6, 2010 we will be attending the all day goat information fair at Tehama County Fair Grounds in Red Bluff. It is being put on by the North Vally Dairy Goat Association (NVDGA) and we are all looking forward to entering the new to us world of goats!

Comments

Popular Posts