One of the Girls
Well, turns out Naomi and Winona the Wyandotte sisters are actually named Wayne and Ned. The little sneaks came in with the girls but they are finding it harder and harder to muffle their cock-a-doodling in the morning and their oh so fancy tail feathers. Most places that sell chicks have them sexed at the hatchery but we got some bad luck with 2/8 being males. I am waiting to see if either of them is a good rooster before I harvest them for stew meat. Not looking forward to that event.
We got an extension to the chicken electric fencing and put it together this morning. So now the chickens have twice the foraging room and we are protecting the two citrus on the south and southwest which were getting decimated by grasshoppers. We will see if this makes a difference. Some areas of the swale have nice cover growth but the north swale and the southwest part of the south swale are getting water but nothing is growing now.
I have been going back and forth about buying Martin Crawford's book, Creating a Forest Garden. When I first got into permaculture many years ago I ordered some books from a bookseller in England. They were always sold out of the pamphlets Crawford put out. This was before it was easier to buy books through online services. Anyway I have no doubt that his book will be FULL of information. The question is will it have information relevant to my growing zone and difficult conditions? He is in rainy, Cool Temperate and I am in Extreme Mediterranean. The two don't often meet in terms of plant selection which is his specialty. He runs a massive demonstration garden/food forest in England which he started 15 years ago. So anyone out there who lives in his climate zone should run out and buy his book for sure. I still may.
We got an extension to the chicken electric fencing and put it together this morning. So now the chickens have twice the foraging room and we are protecting the two citrus on the south and southwest which were getting decimated by grasshoppers. We will see if this makes a difference. Some areas of the swale have nice cover growth but the north swale and the southwest part of the south swale are getting water but nothing is growing now.
I have been going back and forth about buying Martin Crawford's book, Creating a Forest Garden. When I first got into permaculture many years ago I ordered some books from a bookseller in England. They were always sold out of the pamphlets Crawford put out. This was before it was easier to buy books through online services. Anyway I have no doubt that his book will be FULL of information. The question is will it have information relevant to my growing zone and difficult conditions? He is in rainy, Cool Temperate and I am in Extreme Mediterranean. The two don't often meet in terms of plant selection which is his specialty. He runs a massive demonstration garden/food forest in England which he started 15 years ago. So anyone out there who lives in his climate zone should run out and buy his book for sure. I still may.


Comments
Post a Comment