Grey Early June '10

This cool weather has been so unusual here in the North Valley. Today is very windy and grey and humid. Not our normal windy, dry heat. I have been enjoying this cooler weather. The fruit farmers in the area are not enjoying it though. No sunshine and heat, no quality fruit.
I stopped at Goodins on my way to get a filling fixed in my tooth in Red Bluff. I went against my own advice and purchased some more plants. I can't help myself! :) Kathy sold me a camphor tree for a dollar. I couldn't say no. It definitely needs some love but for that price I can afford to chance it. And a star jasmine, a small mimosa, another elder, a myrtle and several liners she said would do well in my area. I have forgotten their names.
I planted several this morning. Since we had gotten some late rain the soil was still soft. But really it's not the greatest idea planting so late in the season. They will struggle more to survive the heat. I hope not too much. And the herb bed in which I am planting is pretty much straight clay, hardly any gravel. It's really nasty stuff. I feel kinda bad planting them in there but I must. Over time I will amend it but for now..... I have been amazed at the adverse conditions herbs can tolerate and even flourish in. I was thinking maybe the herbs are doing so well this year due to all the grasshopper poo and bodies from last year's onslaught. Small consolation.
Here are some pictures from the land as it looks today:
This is the chicken castle in the garden with the electric fence surrounding it:

The swale has lots of plant diversity still with a new pink clover coming up in the last few weeks. It is amazing how tough dill and cilantro can be!

The mowed fire break with unfortunately planted fig:

Here is the myrtle between the two honeysuckle:

The cat who adopted us "Smudge" :

And the Chicken Men who protect our house and land and keep us all loving eggs:


Comments
Post a Comment