Plant People
New Garden Boots:

Plant people are... different. Sometimes in a good way sometimes in a snotty, anti-social way. Thurs. while looking at all the nursery numbers in the phone book, I stumbled onto one I hadn't seen before. I wrote the number down. Proberta. Hmmm. Then I remembered seeing a plant nursery on the way to Red Bluff. I called the number. A mellow woman named Kathy answered. I asked her if she had some plants, you know, easy ones. She did. I asked if she had some more unusual ones like olives in small containers. She did. Then I asked if she had Date Palms. She did. Yucca. She did. California Pepper Tree. She did. I was impressed. We went to visit the nursery. It was like a dream. Plants everywhere, overflowing, chaos. But she knew where everything was. I told her she was my hero. She said it was nice to make someone happy.
So we wandered around happily lost in the plants. And then I saw them. She had all the BR fruit trees I had wanted from Peaceful Valley but couldn't get. She had them. Same grower and lower price because no shipping. I did a happy dance. We filled up a cart quickly. Then I asked her for what I thought was impossible. "Do you have any acacias?" Yes, she did. She had Baileyana and Shoestring!!!! I was so giddy. She had California Sycamores. And Rosemary liners. I love you Goodin's Rock Garden. I love you.
This is a shot of the southeast side of the house. This is where the arbor is going to go in the future. This is also the sector where we get our most intense rain and wind. The cold frame has moved since this picture was taken. Also we got our Sunmar 400 compost tumbler yesterday and it will go where the cold frame was. The rosemary in this terracotta pot has also since been transplanted into the ground and a new tiny rosemary put in its place. The large one was starting to root out the bottom of the pot!

The compost pile in the garden took about 9 months to become good spreadable compost. I did nothing except layer kitchen waste and carbon in the form of leaves or grass clippings. Grass clippings break down much faster than leaves. But I have no more grass clippings since my dad now mulches his lawn. Although I like the mellow action of the cooler compost pile since it keeps all those microbes happy, I really do want humus faster than that. So that is why we purchased the composter. That and I was tired of walking to the garden with my piled bowl of wet kitchen waste. It's been really slippery in the garden of late with all this rain. So I will report back how the tumbler works out. It was pricey so I hope it's worth it.

Plant people are... different. Sometimes in a good way sometimes in a snotty, anti-social way. Thurs. while looking at all the nursery numbers in the phone book, I stumbled onto one I hadn't seen before. I wrote the number down. Proberta. Hmmm. Then I remembered seeing a plant nursery on the way to Red Bluff. I called the number. A mellow woman named Kathy answered. I asked her if she had some plants, you know, easy ones. She did. I asked if she had some more unusual ones like olives in small containers. She did. Then I asked if she had Date Palms. She did. Yucca. She did. California Pepper Tree. She did. I was impressed. We went to visit the nursery. It was like a dream. Plants everywhere, overflowing, chaos. But she knew where everything was. I told her she was my hero. She said it was nice to make someone happy.
So we wandered around happily lost in the plants. And then I saw them. She had all the BR fruit trees I had wanted from Peaceful Valley but couldn't get. She had them. Same grower and lower price because no shipping. I did a happy dance. We filled up a cart quickly. Then I asked her for what I thought was impossible. "Do you have any acacias?" Yes, she did. She had Baileyana and Shoestring!!!! I was so giddy. She had California Sycamores. And Rosemary liners. I love you Goodin's Rock Garden. I love you.
This is a shot of the southeast side of the house. This is where the arbor is going to go in the future. This is also the sector where we get our most intense rain and wind. The cold frame has moved since this picture was taken. Also we got our Sunmar 400 compost tumbler yesterday and it will go where the cold frame was. The rosemary in this terracotta pot has also since been transplanted into the ground and a new tiny rosemary put in its place. The large one was starting to root out the bottom of the pot!

The compost pile in the garden took about 9 months to become good spreadable compost. I did nothing except layer kitchen waste and carbon in the form of leaves or grass clippings. Grass clippings break down much faster than leaves. But I have no more grass clippings since my dad now mulches his lawn. Although I like the mellow action of the cooler compost pile since it keeps all those microbes happy, I really do want humus faster than that. So that is why we purchased the composter. That and I was tired of walking to the garden with my piled bowl of wet kitchen waste. It's been really slippery in the garden of late with all this rain. So I will report back how the tumbler works out. It was pricey so I hope it's worth it.


Comments
Post a Comment