Protecting Helpers, Avoiding Others



I like cats ok. I used to like them more. I have one who lives inside. She is old. They do a good job of keeping rodents out of the house and barn. Unfortunately, they are equal opportunity predators. They will kill mice and rats (sometimes) but also shrews, moles, butterflies, dragonflies, birds, frogs and lizards. They tend to upset the balance of things in a garden, especially one in a more fragile or difficult climate. In addition, they have very toxic poo. One of the major setbacks to permaculturing in a suburban setting is the proliferation of neighborhood cat poo in the garden and the smell of cat urine on the porch. (Note: Please for the love of all that is green have your cat spayed or neutered.)
Since we don't have cats outside, we have a lot of birds, dragonflies, frogs and lizards. And snakes but that is another post. Lizards eat mostly bugs. We have Sagebrush Lizards and Western Fence Lizards. I haven't decided whether they eat frogs yet. But I have seen them clear out cucumber beetles and cabbage moths. And they consume small grasshoppers. I like watching them for so long that they fall asleep in front of me from boredom. They patrol my raised beds defending their territory and displaying what appears to be bizarre mating rituals. I have come to like them and appreciate their presence.


I have heard frogs are a sensitive species that indicate the health of an environment. We have a lot of Pacific Treefrogs. They live under planters and around water; they are the size of a piece of popcorn. My kids have harassed them with love and attention and they move around zone 1 to avoid them. But they too eat lots of bugs and are much appreciated in my garden not only for their appetite but also for their sweet presence. I have no idea how they survived here before the pond was dug or hose bibs leaked. Where did they all come from? Where do they all go when the pond dries up? How do they keep returning each year only stronger? They and the other living things on this land are a mystery and miracle.
When we pay close attention to what is all around us, our appreciation for the complexity and tenacity of life deepens. We realize how much this attention is needed if we really want to enhance an environment and not further degrade it.


The photos are gorgeous Renee! I'm totally sending this link to a lizard geek I know. And your blogs are so interesting..keep reminding me on Facebook:)
ReplyDeleteYOYO